Sunday, August 17, 2014

Ryan.

One of my special memories with grandpa happened when I flew out to Wenatchee for an interview. I flew out by myself for a quick trip and had a wonderful dinner at Pat and Gloria's and spent the rest of the evening with grandpa. It was really my first time I spent one on one with him. I remember he was such a great host making me feel at home and asking if I wanted anything, often. He reminisced and told interesting stories of his childhood and went on about Grandma Peggy and how much he missed her. When it was time to leave he walked me outside and wished me a safe trip back, we hugged and I walked towards my car. As I was about to get in I turned and saw grandpa still standing on the porch watching me leave. I had so much love in my heart for that gentle man and realized I needed to do one more thing. I turned around and walked back towards him and said, "Grandpa can we say a prayer together before I leave?" He said you bet and there under the glow of his porch light we prayed, giving gratitude for our time we spent together and asking for safe travels. We hugged again and I turned and left with tears in my eyes, feeling overwhelmed with love and admiration for this man. I was not his grandson by blood but I felt as close to him as my own grandfathers. This may not be anything that sounds extraordinary on paper but it was a memory I'll always cherish. Love, Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment here...